A hearty yet fresh salad with tones of sweet and tangy and the crunch of pistachios.
Roast Pumpkin, Red Onion and Pistachio Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Looking for a hearty, fresh salad idea? This roast pumpkin and red onion salad does just that, combining the robust flavours of roasted vegetables with a tart and slightly sweet vinaigrette. Pistachios add an interesting dimension and spinach provides a healthy source of dark leafy greens.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
Serves: 2 as a main dish, 4 as entrée
*Note: 1 Tablespoon = 4 teaspoons
*Time Saving Tip: Roast the veggies the day before, and keep covered in the fridge until ready to use.
For the salad:
*1kg pumpkin, skin removed
*1 large red onion, skin removed
*1 handful pistachios
*1 bunch/bag English spinach
*Salt and pepper
For the dressing:
*1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
*1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
*3 tsp wholegrain mustard
*1 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1. Cut the pumpkin into medium (bite sized) chunks and thickly slice the onion.
2. Place the onion on one tray and the pumpkin on another. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the vegetables in an oven at 180-200 degrees celsius for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and slightly crispy. (The time will vary depending on your oven and the size of your veggies, but be sure to check regularly as the onion is likely to be done much sooner).
4. Prepare the dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl or jug.
5. Rinse and drain the spinach and then arrange it on 2-4 plates.
6. Spoon the roasted pumpkin and onions onto the bed of spinach.
7. Coarsely chop or crush the pistachios and sprinkle onto the pumpkin.
8. Spoon or drizzle dressing all over. Left over dressing will last well in the fridge for another salad.
* Recipe first published on www.crankhf.com.au