Is there a more flavourful way to enjoy vegetables other than roasting them? This dish really brings out the flavours of juicy baby tomatoes, sweet capsicum, red onion, garlic and other complimentary vegetables intensified with Italian herbs and olives. Add in a can of chickpeas and you have a complete, filling meal, that not only is super quick to prepare, but will infuse your kitchen with the mouthwatering aroma of roasting veggies and herbs at their best.
Roasted Ratatouille Veggies with Chickpeas
Preperation time: 5-10 min
Cooking time: 35-45 minutes
serves – 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish
Don’t be put off by the cooking in two batches, there is no need for perfect chopping and the veggies are super quick to prepare and can be ready to be added so the over-all effort is still minimal.
*1 red capsicum
*1 medium sized eggplant (or about 3 baby eggplants)
*2 small zucchini or about 5 baby zucchini
*1 large red onion
- Place a casserole dish in an oven set at about 200 degrees celsius to warm up. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Roughly chop the first batch of veggies then mix in the casserole dish and roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the second batch of ingredients.
*100g roma baby tomatos (recommended) or grape or cherry tomatoes
*1 tin chickpeas (400g) (or 1 ½ cups cooked)
*1/4 – 1/3 cup kalamata or Spanish black olives or other olives
*2 large cloves of garlic, sliced
*1/2 – 1 tsp dried Italian herb mix
*1/2 – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
*Salt (herb salt or sea salt) and black pepper
Topping: Fresh herbs (I love lots of fresh basil).
- Add the second batch of ingredients, stir to combine. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are slightly crispy in some spots – but don’t let them dry out.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, parsley, or oregano, or a combination of all three.
- Suggested serving: on top of a bed of fresh romaine lettuce / other greens, with some brown rice or quinoa, with a side salad or with a light soup.