A flavourful easy to prepare, filling, protein rich breakfast!
While fresh smoothies are great all year round, we sometimes want something a bit warmer or heartier. Baked beans can be a healthy option as they are rich in iron, fibre and protein, however those premade from a can tend to also be loaded with sugar and salt.
This Spanish flavoured inspired dish is almost as quick to prepare as heating up regular baked beans, but has a greater depth of flavour, is sugar free, and contains more nutrients overall. The addition of spices like chilli powder will help to keep you warm during these cold winter mornings, so give it a go for breakfast soon!
Spanish Breakfast Beans
Preparation time: 30 min or less
- 1 can cannellini beans or other white beans
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4-5 small strips (about 1 tablespoon) of semi-dried/sun-dried tomato (rehydrate in hot water if sundried and not in oil)
- 1 small or ½ regular sized onion, red preferred, sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon Spanish olives
- 3 tsps tomato paste
- 2 tsps sweet paprika powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ – ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- A few sprigs fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat a small amount of oil in a fry pan. Add the onion and cook for 2 min.
- Add the paprika, chili powder and garlic powder along with the dried tomato and fresh tomato and cook for 1-2 min more until the tomato begins to soften. Add a few splashes of water if it begins to stick.
- Add the beans, and tomato paste and cook for 1 min, mashing a few of the beans with the back of a spoon to create different textures if you like.
- Add in the olives, spinach and parsley and cook for 1 minute more, until the spinach has just wilted.
- Serve on its own or over wholemeal or rye bread toast, with a sprinkle of black pepper.
*Tips: Have the onion cut up, the spinach washed, beans drained and the spices measured out the night before to have this all ready to go in the morning it can be whipped up in about 15 min – no excuses not to have a good home cooked breakfast when it can be done that fast!