I wanted to make some kind of baked treat that was healthier than the average. I thought a banana bread would do the trick but pretty much every recipe I found not only included bananas but 1-2 cups of refined sugar! So I came up with my own using natural sugar from a wholefood – dates. They are not separated from their fibre and along with the choice of wholemeal flour rather than white flour this loaf doesn’t give you a sugar-spike like a lot of sweet treats will, making it a healthy breakfast or snack. Feel free to use decafe coffee if you are avoiding caffeine of course!
Coffee, Date and Walnut Loaf
Makes: 1 loaf.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes.
*1 3/4 cups wholemeal self raising flour
*1 cup medjool dates
*1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee
*1/4 cup coconut oil
*1/2 cup macadamia milk (could also use almond milk)
*1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Pour boiling water over the coffee then add a cup of pitted dates to the coffee. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, lightly oil and line a loaf pan and pre heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
3. Sift the wholemeal flour, the bicarbonate of soda, and the cinnamon together.
4. Place the coffee and date mixture into a high speed blender and add the milk, coconut oil (gently melt over the stove if it is hard), and the vanilla essence to the blender. Blend on high until smoothly combined.
5. Combine the coffee mixture in the bowl with the flour mixture, folding gently until just combined.
6. Fold in the walnuts.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Place in the oven and cook for between 30-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted has come out clean. Remove from oven. let sit for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack before slicing.
*To keep fresh, slice one piece as desired rather than the whole loaf at once and keep in an airtight container. It will last at least 2 days. If you wish to keep it for longer, slice and wrap each portion individually then place in the freezer.