Quick and easy to prepare using pita bread, hummus and a few basic toppings such as tomato, olives and onion this healthy pizza alternative contains a good balance of protein and carbs making it an ideal post-workout snack, light lunch, or side dish.
Chickpeas replace cheese as a healthier and lower-fat option with the benefit of being a good source of iron and protein! For a quick option you can use store brought hummus or try the healthier version below. For a speedy meal, prep the hummus and the toppings before hand, so all you have to do is assemble and pop under the grill when you are hungry.
Pita Pizzas with Hummus “cheese”
4 wholemeal pitta breads
Hummus (use packed store brought or try recipe below)
Veggie toppings such as onion, olives, capsicum, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, jalepenos
Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or oregano
400g tin chickpeas, drained
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons Tahini
1 garlic clove, pressed
Approx. 60ml water
Salt and pepper
To make the hummus:
Blend all ingredients in a food processor adding the water slowly till a smooth thick consistency is reached.
To make the pizzas:
- Spread a thick layer of hummus on the pitta breads.
- Sprinkle with dried herbs and spices such as paprika if you wish
- Top with thinly sliced veggies
- Pop in a hot oven for 15-20 min until the veggies on top are cooked
- Sprinkle over fresh herbs such as basil during the last minute of cooking