These chewy-crunchy little bites are bursting with the refreshing flavour of orange, complimented with undertones of raw chocolate.
Thanks to nutrient rich ingredients such as almonds, goji berries, and cocao nibs these snacks are super high in antioxidants and contain good sources of fibre, magnesium, calcium, protein and ‘good fats’. They are a healthy option for an afternoon ‘pick me up’ or as a pre or post workout snack.
Orange Cocao Nib Energy Balls
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Making Time: 5 minutes.
Makes: 15-20 bite sized balls.
*1 cup almonds
*1/2 cup medjool dates
*2 tsp fresh orange zest
*1/2 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla paste
*1/4 cup dried goji berries*
*2 tbsp cocao nibs**
1. Place almonds, pitted medjool dates, fresh orange zest and vanilla into a food processor.
2. Process until mixture is in fine crumbles.
3. Add the goji berries and cocao nibs and stir with a spoon to combine.
4. Roll spoonfuls of the mixture into small balls. The mixture may appear crumbly but should stick together when squeezed into balls.
5. Eat immediately or place in the fridge for a snack later.
*If you don’t have goji berries leave out or substitute with another dried fruit such as cranberries or apricot
**If you don’t have cocoa nibs these also taste great with roughly chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
***If the mixture is too dry, add another 1-2 dates.
****If you prefer a smoother texture, grind the almonds separately first and then add the other ingredients.