This tasty and quick dish makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is full of flavour yet can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes! Enjoy on its own, on top of wholemeal toast, over brown rice or quinoa, or accompanied by a fresh garden salad. It also tastes good the next day cold if you have left overs!
Almond Butter Satay with Beans, Broccoli and Cherry Tomatoes
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: 2-4 depending on if you have it on its own or with something else.
*2 cans beans (recommend mild tasting beans such as cannellini beans (I used), pinto beans or butter beans)
*1 clove of garlic
*1 bay leaf
*1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
*Small head of broccoli
*1/4 cup almond butter
*1/2 tsp smoked paprika
*1 cup water
*2 tbsp soy sauce
*Sea salt or herbsalt + freshly cracked black pepper
1. Wash and finely slice the leek, peel and crush the garlic.
2. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and cut the broccoli into small florets.
3. Heat a teaspoon or two of mild tasting oil in a medium sized saucepan and then add the leek and garlic. Cook on low heat for 1-2 min or until just going soft and golden – be careful not to burn.
4. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, the bay leaf and salt plus a little water if needed to prevent sticking. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the beans, broccoli and 1 cup of water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 3-5 min until the broccoli is bright green and tender but not overcooked.
6. Add the almond butter and stir through until melted and you have a creamy consistency. Add the soysauce and pepper.
7. Time to eat!
*Peanut butter will of course taste great as well if you have no almond butter on hand
**If you don’t have broccoli try substituting spinach or zucchini, if you don’t have tomatoes, try red capsicum